News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

telephone photos - david@london

Started by david@london, December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

a new phone arrived today, a turquoise* 2500D dated 1/74.

i had suspected that it might be turquoise rather than aqua blue, but it's hard to be sure from photos, so i was extremely chuffed to see the true colour.
apart from a bad case of sun-fading, it's in great condition.
it doesn't have the full curved 'operator', being a '74 model, but ............just loving this phone.

*edit......it's actually aqua, not turquoise - see below

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on March 22, 2013, 06:37:14 PM
From your picture of the SKyline dialcard I had no trouble making a replica blank dial card, actually a whole sheet of them.  Fill in the station number and print it on 'aged' card stock or use a color printer to age the background graphically.

Did you make that from David's photo or from scratch?  If from scratch, what font is that?
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on September 16, 2015, 07:00:14 PM
From your picture of the SKyline dialcard I had no trouble making a replica blank dial card, actually a whole sheet of them.  Fill in the station number and print it on 'aged' card stock or use a color printer to age the background graphically.

Did you make that from David's photo or from scratch?  If from scratch, what font is that?

No, it was a reproduction from the original image with some image processing to get rid of artifacts.
I still have a large stack of these.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on September 16, 2015, 07:25:28 PM

No, it was a reproduction from the original image with some image processing to get rid of artifacts.

OK, thanks.  I thought it might have been, but it turned out so good I wasn't sure.  What software do you use?
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on September 16, 2015, 07:29:25 PM

OK, thanks.  I thought it might have been, but it turned out so good I wasn't sure.  What software do you use?

I use a variety of different tools for different purposes and best features.  For image cleanup I may have used ImageMagick command line tools. For other things perhaps GIMP, and for page composition of the printed sheet probably OS X Preview, which is a fantastically simple tool.

The example in that green phone was just printed on white paper, it looks more authentic when printed on ivory card stock.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on September 16, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on September 16, 2015, 07:29:25 PM

I use a variety of different tools for different purposes and best features.  For image cleanup I may have used ImageMagick command line tools. For other things perhaps GIMP, and for page composition of the printed sheet probably OS X Preview, which is a fantastically simple tool.

The example in that green phone was just printed on white paper, it looks more authentic when printed on ivory card stock.

I have ImageMagick on my FreeBSD box and Gimp on my Windows box.  I have used Gimp a fair bit but haven't really taken the time to learn what I can do with ImageMagick.  But I have a scanned dial card in desperate need of despeckling so will definitely spend some time with it now.  You posted something else recently that was nicely cleaned up (AE catalog?).  Did you use ImageMagick's mogrify for that?
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on September 16, 2015, 08:21:12 PM

I have ImageMagick on my FreeBSD box and Gimp on my Windows box.  I have used Gimp a fair bit but haven't really taken the time to learn what I can do with ImageMagick.  But I have a scanned dial card in desperate need of despeckling so will definitely spend some time with it now.  You posted something else recently that was nicely cleaned up (AE catalog?).  Did you use ImageMagick's mogrify for that?

Hmm, I don't remember what I used on the catalog. I have created my own set of tools for various specific task, such as cropping, level and contrast adjustments, trimming, resizing, repaging on all page images in batch mode. I don't keep track of exactly what worked best for a given document. Usually I use the 'convert' utility, not 'mogrify', they are very similar though.

david@london

...the turquoise 2500 is looking better after a warm bath, handset cord  treatment + a replica number card added.

anyone know of a source for printable scans of these cards ?
found this one here some time ago...........thanks to whoever uploaded it.

i'll have a try at peroxide bleaching....perhaps if we get some autumn sun.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

david@london

......thanks doug.

after 3-4 hours of 20% peroxide 20 Volume - 6% Peroxide in the sun, a great improvement.
i was surprised at how quickly the treatment worked. i was swirling the hair stuff with a paintbrush every hour, however there are some just noticeable, pale irregularities in the colour which i think will buff out with a fine micromesh pad.

i'm now thinking that i have in fact an aqua, not a turquoise phone. the inside looked turquoise to me................well, i don't mind anyway.

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

david@london

.....thank you dave

after another hour or so under the sun + peroxide yesterday, the colour is looking much better, bluer.
the small irregularities - barely noticeable white streaks - have polished out well with micromesh.
following christian's poolside photos, i have snapped the phone in front of the closest thing i have to a swimming pool.

*long h/s cord added

david@london

sincere thanks to bruce (slal) who recently sent me this rosewood beige WE 500, dated 9-56.

.......a really excellent job of packing ensured its safe arrival in suffolk, england from texas via chicago, detroit, london and ipswich.......

AL_as_needed

That is a HUGE improvement in the color, a very strong candidate for the peroxide treatment! I also think we need to make more of a thing of those "pool side" photos.... :D
TWinbrook7

david@london

thanks al.......

i was really pleased with the result of my 1st and, so far, only peroxide job on the discoloured aqua blue 2500. the aqua colour responded v well to the treatment -

before/after -