News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

where can I get a "real" rotary candlestick phone & box?

Started by Cindy67, January 20, 2013, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Cindy,

That is probably a real phone, but it is not an antique.  Most phone collectors would not consider it to be a "real candlestick phone".  Alot of replica candlesticks were made in the 1970s as novelty phones.  I just recently bought one for a friend who wanted a usable candlestick phone for his desk but did not care if it was antique and did not want to spend much. 

Larry

AE_Collector

Not "Fake" but not "Real" either.

If real is a 1910 - 1930 Candlestick and Fake is a 1970's or 1980's made in Japan Candlestick that is made to look pretty much like a 1910-1930 candlestick, this is a 1970's or 1080's decorator style Candlestick which means it looks like an original and works on todays networks but they didn't go out of their way to attempt to make it look like it could be original.

If you want a candlestick that looks old AND works properly, this could be a good choice. If you are a collector of antiques, this would be considered a "Reproduction"

IMHO     Terry

Cindy67

I think I found a antique, I hope this is it!  On ebay item#  261157903480  I am not sure about rotary dial.....I won one but re-selling......the one I showed here There are no markings at all anywhere, inside earpiece silver, and no 'tag' 'label' anywhere.

LarryInMichigan

The ebay item # given is incorrect.  From the pictures, it looks like it may be a genuine WE stick. 

Larry

poplar1

Are there two holes in the face of the transmitter? If so, there may have been a WE tag there. The receiver shell is WE as well as the dial. (Originally, it would have had a 2A dial with outside finger stop, but these were replaced over the years.)

If you provide some pictures of the inside, we can determine whether it is genuine WE.

There is probably a number stamped on the back of the lug holder ("perch")--50AL, 51AL, or 151AL usually. I think all the repros are stamped 51AL so if it is something else, it is probably not a repro. If it is stamped 51AL it can be real or repro.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

It looks like a restoration using reproduction parts.  It does appears to be mostly WE.  A couple of red flags:

-The finger wheel is repainted, and not very well
-Black cords?  Should be brown
-Repro base with no patent dates
-Looks like there is no tag on the faceplate, probably repro
-Aluminum card backer
-685A subset
-The receiver is incorrect for a dial candlestick, should be a 144

I suspect someone took a manual stick and converted it to dial using parts from PHONECO etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Cindy67

Oh my.  Seller dosent have "inside" photos.   I am so bad at this.  I thought I. May have learned how to spot a fake...apparently I need to learn more.  Ugh.....

Thank you for your input.

Cindy67

ok I was looking at another phone.  here are pics of inside":

Cindy67

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 26, 2013, 10:32:47 PM
The ebay item # given is incorrect.  From the pictures, it looks like it may be a genuine WE stick.  

Larry
I copied it & pasted item# again!  170980494751  The item# I gave b4 was a phone I was selling sorry

Cindy67

Quote from: poplar1 on January 27, 2013, 08:01:53 AM
Are there two holes in the face of the transmitter? If so, there may have been a WE tag there. The receiver shell is WE as well as the dial. (Originally, it would have had a 2A dial with outside finger stop, but these were replaced over the years.)

If you provide some pictures of the inside, we can determine whether it is genuine WE.
There is probably a number stamped on the back of the lug holder ("perch")--50AL, 51AL, or 151AL usually. I think all the repros are stamped 51AL so if it is something else, it is probably not a repro. If it is stamped 51AL it can be real or repro.

ME: It looks like there are 2 holes in the face of the transmitter, hard to tell with sellers photos  I also cant see any number stamped on perch...  :(  I have posted pics of inside

Cindy67

ONE MORE PLEASE HELP!!  ITEM# ON EBAY  261160332026

poplar1

Yes, this one has all Western Electric parts, including the 2A dial with outside finger stop. The cords are frayed, the numbers are worn off on the dial, and the felt is gone, but I don't anyone has changed anything in the last 65 years.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Cindy67

Quote from: poplar1 on January 27, 2013, 05:45:16 PM
Yes, this one has all Western Electric parts, including the 2A dial with outside finger stop. The cords are frayed, the numbers are worn off on the dial, and the felt is gone, but I don't anyone has changed anything in the last 65 years.

ok that sounds good, seller does not have the ringer, IF I bid, what is the highest I should go?  And, IF I bid & win, what box should I get?  Oh btw, were you looking at the 2nd phone???

Thank you

Sargeguy

Nice one!  I think your learning curve is pretty steep!  This looks all correct and intact and has a nice original dial card.  I would estimate this one at around $200-25.  I would bid $250, and I would not bid until the final seconds, this one has a lot of action on it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Cindy67

Quote from: Cindy67 on January 27, 2013, 04:19:16 PM
ok I was looking at another phone.  here are pics of inside":

THESE pics are ebay item# 170980494751..in which the inside parts of the box and pics of phone itself first posted is the same phone.  I did get a response for the last phone and it was a good one.  I do want to make sure that the item# above is not real?  its up over $180 at least.  So what I am asking is that this is not a real antique phone, idc about the box only phone.

Thank you