News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20AL and 534a subset

Started by liteamorn, May 10, 2013, 11:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

Hi folks, I won a WE 20AL stick and a 534A subset on ebay a while ago. I am having fits trying to wire them properly to get them to work.

I know the phone works because I wired it to my 684 subset (converted 302) and it worked, although the volumes on the phone were a little low, I kind of figured this is what they sounded like in 1913 or so.

When I try to wire it to my 534a all I can get the subset to do is stop ringing when I lift the receiver. It does not break dial tone or answer, my other phones keep ringing. Does anyone have a wiring diagram I could use? a picture would be more help or a description on what to wire to where.

I don't think the subset has been altered to the newer versions because it seems to have only the large condenser and no small networks, also the faded paper instructions on the lid have not been x'ed out.

I sure would appreciate any help, thanks.

Ed

Sargeguy

Have you tried wiring up a different phone to the subset?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

liteamorn

I finally got it, I found a similar combo on ebay and followed the photo's they had . The subset rings (what a beautiful ring too) and I can answer on my candlestick. I did notice that the volumes are rather low compared to even my WE 202 set up. Is this normal for these phones? I suspect it is because the sound quality was almost identical when I connected it to my 684 subset. My 202 sound quality is a lot better on the 684 than my 20AL.

At any rate I am more than a little excited to have a working telephone that is likely to be around 100 years old.

poplar1

Ed, did you ever get this working? Did you try hooking up the 202 (as a 102) to the 534A?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.