News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

20-AP (was Bargain eBay Candlestick)

Started by Sargeguy, June 03, 2013, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

This was a no-brainer for $39.99 BIN:  *229* transmitter, ABT marked cup with grommet intact, knurled thumbscrew, and "drop" type hook.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Also appears to have a push-button on the side as a cut-out switch. 20-A2?   That'd be a new one. This looks like it may be shaping up to be a restoration rather than a parts phone ::)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Mr. Bones

Sargeguy,

Nice snag on an older set, with several hard to find parts still intact! Enjoy your new toy, and have a great day!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Sargeguy

The phone turns out to be a 20-AP, which was not o the candlestick list above.  It is a drawn perch style.  Despite being a black phone it has a nickel *229* transmitter with the knurled thumbscrew.  From the looks of what remains of the cord, the transmitter was a 122, although I cannot be certain.  The cords and base were green.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here are some pics of the switches:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here are the results of some steel wool and polishing with Novus#2.  I polished off the as much of the crustiness as I dared, some pitting remains but it looks a heck of a lot better and I probably will not repaint.  The head is out for nickel plating

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Picked up the re-nickeled parts back from Dennis H:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Babybearjs

are you going to be able to restore it???
John

Sargeguy

It's pretty much all set, I am just waiting to turn up a reasonably priced 122 receiver to complete it.   I may just user a 143 from the pile. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

That phone looks great as is.  If you have 143 receivers in your "scrap pile", I sure would like to see your piles of parts!
Dave

Sargeguy

Here is my spare receiver box:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

I am impressed..............and a tad envious....Kiddrool
Kidphone

wds

Definitely not a scrap pile.  You just need 9 more phones to hang those on.  I like those cords!
Dave

Sargeguy

I am not sure what to do with that long pole, since it is not WE.  I'm sure something will come along.  The 122 is missing a couple screws and the cord eyelet.  A couple of the 144s have busted caps.  The 143s are all intact, however.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I finally hooked up a 143 receiver and hooked it up to a working subset.  The phone rings, breaks tone and  receives fine.  It will not transmit, i suspect it's an issue with the cut out switch.   Will troubleshoot later on.

UPDATE:  when I pick up the receiver I can only transmit for two seconds or so before the transmitter fades our.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409