News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - May 2015

Started by AE_Collector, April 30, 2015, 01:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - May 2015.  *** VOTE FOR 2 ***

Cello973's 3/56 soft plastic WECo 554 / 4/57 soft plastic 6041 key found for free in an old basement
6 (20.7%)
Autonut's I picked up this 202 with N515H subset at auction for $73.45 CDN or about $59 US$
3 (10.3%)
wds' AE 34 with the built in carry handle cut out.  $129.95 + $6.39 s/h
5 (17.2%)
LarryInMichigan's Mediterranean Blue WE 500 at a garage sale for $50
16 (55.2%)
WEBellSystemChristian's "Lot O Phones" for $92.50 incl. shipping. 1956 Red 500, 1960-63 Turquoise 500 etc
4 (13.8%)
NorthernElectric's Automatic Electric Stepped Base Candlestick at a yard sale for $65
10 (34.5%)
Fabius' Western Electric 302AC with "LIFT PLUNGER TO TALK" script. eBay for $54 / free shipping
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

WEBellSystemChristian

I'd like to nominate my lot of phones won on ebay for $72.50 plus $20.00 shipping. It includes an all-1956 WE 500 in Red, a 1960-63 Turquoise 500 (housing is Turquoise, rest is Aqua), 1970 Yellow Trimline, two '80s Brown Trimlines, and an '80s White 2702B Princess. The price roughly divides the price among all of the phones to about $10 each!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14403
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

I'm in this month with the Automatic electric stepped base candlestick phone I found at a yard sale on May 16th.  I waited a day to buy it because the seller said he had another candlestick phone and I wanted to see it.  I had to go back that way the next day and he hadn't found the other phone, so I bought this one for $65.  Shipping cost was basically nothing because I was in the area anyway driving my mother south for a wedding and bringing her back the next day.  It's actually in pretty darn good original condition except for the receiver which is just a shell, and a repro at that.  Apart from that, it needed cleaning, new felt on the base (which I have done), and some new wiring.  I will get a period correct receiver for it when I find one but will hook up the repro temporarily with a U1 element in the meantime.

As found...

...and after some cleaning.

PS.  topic about this one here
Cliff

AE_Collector

WEBellSystemChristian:

Looks like we have the "group of phones" dilemma here again. I was going to say that you should pick one but I don't know what the formula is to split a group to determine the price of an individual phone. Simple math I guess. But, never mind, lets leave it as a single group for the total purchase price. One day we will sort out these types of problems but I don't have time at the moment!!

I will try to get the poll going within the next day or so. Re-roofing here at the moment.

Terry

Fabius

I'm nominating the Western Electric 302AC I bought off eBay for $54 with free shipping. This is a party line phone with the impressed markings: LIFT PLUNGER TO DIAL OR TALK >. Phone is dated 1953. Another interesting thing is that the F1W handset with is dated 8/53 and is probably original to the phone and is the type sold to independent phone companies (it's not marked Bell System). The number on the number card is 717-838-5476. That exchange is Hershey, Pennsylvania which was served by an independent company.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

compubit

Hate to say it, but I pass this month...  My planned entry (leftover from April) pales in comparison...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 01, 2015, 06:12:37 PM
WEBellSystemChristian:

Looks like we have the "group of phones" dilemma here again. I was going to say that you should pick one but I don't know what the formula is to split a group to determine the price of an individual phone. Simple math I guess. But, never mind, lets leave it as a single group for the total purchase price. One day we will sort out these types of problems but I don't have time at the moment!!

I will try to get the poll going within the next day or so. Re-roofing here at the moment.

Terry
Okay, so just divide the total dollar figure among each phone? I already did that, it comes to  roughly $10 per phone plus roughly $3 shipping per phone. If I have to nominate just one phone, it would be the 1956 Red 500.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Okay, time to vote or the May 2015 Find of the Month. There are 7 entries to chose from so vote or your top two favorites and lets see who wins the bragging rights for this month.

We had to disqualify Zaphod01's D-170901 variant of a 302 since it was for sale on ebaY at the same time which does disqualify it per the contest rules.

I don't know if we actually have a rule against a group of phones being in the contest (someone will correct me if I am wrong) as long as they were purchased as one lot and none of them are currently listed for sale so WEBellSystemChristian's group of phones is allowed.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 01, 2015, 08:38:41 PM
Okay, so just divide the total dollar figure among each phone? I already did that, it comes to  roughly $10 per phone plus roughly $3 shipping per phone. If I have to nominate just one phone, it would be the 1956 Red 500.

I think you are okay so will leave it as a group unless you prefer to just nominate the one.

Terry

TelePlay

Being within the last 24 hours of voting for the May Find of the Month, just wanted to let everyone know that I have now updated the PhotoBucket collection for both the Find of the Month through March of 2015 and also the Find of the Year for all 5 years now completed. I was a few months behind but all is well now.

You can see the complete collection of winners to date at:

http://s1000.photobucket.com/user/CRPF/library/Find%20of%20the%20Month?sort=4&page=0

AE_Collector

Okay, the May 2015 Find of the Month is a wrap. LarryInMichigan's Mediterranean Blue WE 500 cleaned up this month as seems to be the case whenever a Mediterranean Blue 500 or a Mushroom phone is entered in the contest! NorthernElectric's AE Step Based Candlestick provided some good competition but in the end Larry was still substantially ahead.

Congratulations Larry on your first win this year and your SIXTH win in the Find of the Month contests not counting your Find of the YEAR win last year. Six wins is a record number of wins. And congratuations everyone on your finds this month and thanks go out to everyone who took the time to vote.

Terry