News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson 1243 Help - Handset Terminals Correct?

Started by BackInTimemachines, July 26, 2021, 11:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackInTimemachines

Hi All -

Hoping some of you who may have a working Stromberg 1243 can help me out. I have one cosmetically restored that the last time I tested it on a landline jack did not give me any dial tone or sound.  I finally got around this weekend to trying to check the way it was re-connected but have run into trouble trying to interpret the line drawing diagram (found inside the phone) intentions at the handset transmitter.

I'm hoping someone can send me a photo of the terminals wired correctly on a working phone they have. I am attaching a couple of photos of what terminals are being used as my handset stands.

Meanwhile, I checked the wiring from the line cord to the network and those look correct and from the dial and switch hook and those look correct. It was much easier to map the physical equipment to the diagram.  That leaves the handset cord connections but apparently I'm not experienced enough to figure out which of the five terminals match the three in the drawing!  :-\

Any example photos or other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,David

FABphones

Hi and welcome to CRPF.

More SC 1243 info and wiring diagrams on this thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6350

If you use the 'search' facility above, you will find other SC 1243 threads too.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

BackInTimemachines

Thanks.

I have the wiring diagram and I did find several 1243 posts but none with a good direct photo of the handset with the terminals and pieces shown similar to my photos above. I really need to see what a working one looks like even to check if all the contact parts were put back in correctly.  Hoping someone can send me one.

Cheers.

rdelius

make sure the 2 wires that feed the receiver are not shorted together . your photo shows them close together from the angle

BackInTimemachines

Oh wow - duh - good point. How did I not notice that!?

Meanwhile, I put 4VDC across terminals 8 and 10 and screwed the receiver back together. Heard myself blowing air and talking from the transmitter to the earpiece. Also heard a voltage buzz of course but it seems both elements of the handset work.  I'm wondering if the two wires are/or were touching though and that is what cut the signal off.  I could also get the handset to work by bringing the voltage to the other side of the network on the 11 and 12 so it seems the network block is working as well??