News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Should I sell it? Seamless F1

Started by Kenton K, September 06, 2014, 01:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

Dang! I wish I kept the handset! I just bought this project which would have have gone great with the handset. Anyone have an E1?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251676147642

-KK

WEBellSystemChristian

I told ya you should keep that handset! ;D

Very nice find!!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 23, 2014, 12:05:23 AM
Quote from: tallguy58 on September 22, 2014, 10:38:42 PM
Who's Frank?
Frank is the phone restorer that we all wish we could be, but we can't. Check out this beautiful example of his work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321456572628
Has anyone ever figured out how he gets his handsets so shiny?  I know they're not painted or clear coated.
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimH on October 12, 2014, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 23, 2014, 12:05:23 AM
Quote from: tallguy58 on September 22, 2014, 10:38:42 PM
Who's Frank?
Frank is the phone restorer that we all wish we could be, but we can't. Check out this beautiful example of his work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321456572628
Has anyone ever figured out how he gets his handsets so shiny?  I know they're not painted or clear coated.
Buffed with a rotary buffer and then waxed?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

The only luck I've ever had buffing is if you start out with a handset that is fairly shiny to begin with.  I know it's been covered here before....you cannot make a "rough" handset shiny again unless you coat it, or wax it.  Once the top shiny layer is worn away, you cannot get it back.
Jim H.

WesternElectricBen

I have not yet got to that amazing sheen, but I have never tried a wax layer.

What I generally do is first clean of the handset with goo-gone and remove the scratches with novus. After that, I will go out to the garage and with my fine rouge go over the plastic at a high speed, constantly moving the buffer back and forth. After buffed, I will coat it in SSS oil.

(example pic)

Ben

JimH

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 12, 2014, 06:40:24 PM
I have not yet got to that amazing sheen, but I have never tried a wax layer.

What I generally do is first clean of the handset with goo-gone and remove the scratches with novus. After that, I will go out to the garage and with my fine rouge go over the plastic at a high speed, constantly moving the buffer back and forth. After buffed, I will coat it in SSS oil.

(example pic)

Ben
Very nice job, Ben!  I will try that method.
Jim H.

Dan/Panther

We have had at least 2 extraordinary restorers on the forum. Finlover, used to post a lot, but pursued his music, and Frank.
With Finlover, his secret was using Cadmium paint on the rivets to make them appear new.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, to get Bakelite to shine like that, without any additives to the finish as a filler.

However, I've collected Bakelite radios for years, and also phones, I challenge Frank to prove it, with before and after photos, with a broken hand set to make sure it's not a switch and bait. I'm not asking for Frank to say how he does it, all I want is a before and after shot. No one I know
( and the radio Forum has 10,000 members ) has EVER brought Bakelite back to that degree of gloss, in fact I've never seen BRAND NEW Bakelite look that shiny.
JMHO

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson