News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS's Higher Rates--Sellers Choose FedEx Instead

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 02, 2016, 09:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Since USPS raised their rates for Priority Mail, I have found that sellers seem to be going to FedEx for shipping items. I usually find that sellers are more than likely to use USPS, but in the last week or so (since the rate-raise) I have only seen one or two parcels from USPS on the porch, and at least ten or fifteen delivered by FedEx or UPS from various family eBay purchases or overseas shipments.

Anyone else notice this?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dencins

I do not know how a package from overseas could be shipped USPS so that would not have changed.

I have found in general if I am charged the shipping then some packages show up UPS or FedEx.  If it is free shipping most times it is still USPS.  The exception is large packages which seem to be FedEx or UPS.

For the packages I have shipped, I check USPS, FedEx and UPS rates for the particular package before shipping and have found even with the rate increases USPS is less for what I am shipping. 

I have also found using PayPal Multi Order Shipping option is less than using USPS online labels.  I mailed a USPS Medium Flat Rate box today.  Using the USPS site would have cost $13.45 but using PayPal Multi Order Shipping the same label cost $11.95.

For the same size box to the same destination UPS Ground would have been $21.59 and FedEx Ground would be $15.53.

Dennis Hallworth

Jim Stettler

I think package delivery is changing to the truck carriers doing the long haul and  USPS delivering to your door.

A lot of my Amazon purchases  are shipped UPS and arrive to my house by USPS. A friend shipped an ebay item  UPS (in a priority mail box). It was home delivered by  USPS and she got back-charged for the priority box. 

My local post office has a FedEx  dropbox next to the building. and I see the UPS at their loading dock.

Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jim S. on February 02, 2016, 11:06:59 AM

I think package delivery is changing to the truck carriers doing the long haul and  USPS delivering to your door.

A lot of my Amazon purchases  are shipped UPS and arrive to my house by USPS. A friend shipped an ebay item  UPS (in a priority mail box). It was home delivered by  USPS and she got back-charged for the priority box. 

My local post office has a FedEx  dropbox next to the building. and I see the UPS at their loading dock.

Jim S.

My latest couple shipments were from Northern Illinois, and both came from FedEx; I usually never get stuff from eBay that's shipped via FedEx. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it seems like USPS isn't getting too much business from eBay sellers (at least the two I dealt with).
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford