News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Collectors Vs. Dealers

Started by Babybearjs, March 16, 2016, 01:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

has anyone noticed that on ebay, its not just the collectors buying the phones.... its also the dealers.... so they can try to resell them at a higher price??? someone had shared a listing with be, I think it was Ben... concerning a pair of W.E. 460 series phones.... I put in my bid but someone wanted them worse then me.... Good Luck! anyway, it just seems like we are not the only people that like phones....
John

I guess most of us here could be classed as both. Myself I will buy if I don't have a particular phone for my collection. I will also buy to replace or upgrade my collection. The phones I replaced go up for sale, if I see a deal where there is some money to be made, I'll buy it. I'm sure this happens with a lot of the members here. It boils down to how much you want your phone or you want the money.

Then there is one more class, the hoarder. This person just fills his home with phones from floor to ceiling and won't sell to collectors or dealers.
All you get out of them is " I'm sorry, you have dialed the wrong number "   :)   

WEBellSystemChristian

That was me who sent you that PM. It's pretty amazing how some resellers will go so far to prove that the phone they bought is worth many, sometimes hundreds, times more than it's really worth. The only ones who buy the really expensive phones are either people who want a 'conversation piece' or someone who tries to resell it for an even higher price.

It's like a Paradox; someone picks up a moldy Black 500 at the flea market, and immediately try to resell it for $30, probably twice what they paid for it. Someone buys it from them, and tries selling it for $60, only to be picked up from someone who is a mild expert on phones. That doesn't stop them from cleaning it off a bit and trying to sell it for $120, and on and on until somewhere along the line everyone unanimously decides they don't want that phone!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: Autonut on March 16, 2016, 05:56:26 AM
I guess most of us here could be classed as both. Myself I will buy if I don't have a particular phone for my collection. I will also buy to replace or upgrade my collection. The phones I replaced go up for sale, if I see a deal where there is some money to be made, I'll buy it. I'm sure this happens with a lot of the members here. It boils down to how much you want your phone or you want the money.

Then there is one more class, the hoarder. This person just fills his home with phones from floor to ceiling and won't sell to collectors or dealers.
All you get out of them is " I'm sorry, you have dialed the wrong number "   :)

I'm mostly a hoarder.  I have sold and given away a few, but not many.  A few I wish I had kept, some I don't.  I certainly did not make any profit on the ones I sold, at best I broke even.  The "You have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service.  Please check the number and dial again, or ask your operator for assistance" recording is only on my cell, and only for junk calls.  If you want to talk phones, I will talk with any collector at length.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e