News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Irritating 'attention-getter' phrases?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 01, 2017, 07:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Is anyone else sick of the irritating phrases and words eBay sellers use in their listing titles to get peoples' attention?

Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

-LOOK!
-L@@K!
-L@@@@K!
-GRE@T!!
-W@W!
-NICE!
-GOTTAGET!

Does anyone else have examples of these?

I also get tired of seeing all the keywords a seller wants for their listing, AND THEY PUT IT IN THE TITLE! I end up getting a 5 or 6 line-long title full of different keywords for one listing! >:(
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Not single word phrases in the title but, I always get more than tired of the "Would make an {Excellent, perfect, wonderful} addition to any collection. Really? This telephone would make a perfect addition to my match book collection? And it is usually more than obvious that the person listing the item along with the "excellent addition to any collection" statement, doesn't really have a clue.

Then there is the badly discolored plastic phone that "just needs a quick cleaning" to "look like new". Yeah....right.....20 man hours later, right Jorge!

Terry

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

Quote from: Pourme on January 01, 2017, 08:11:34 PM
~

"Art Deco"

~

But "Shabby Chic" is okay!? I guess that one may have "run its course" (be slowly fading into history).

Terry

finkmac

L@@K MEGA HYPER SUPER RARE MINT USED FREE SHIPPING WITH FRIES AND EXTRA DIP

Tell me about it.
NT Northern Telecom

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Or "WORKS!" When the phone doesn't have cords...

That would be a great way to get a free phone. Buy it, and a day after it arrives, demand a full refund for selling an item not as described! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Or "I don't have phone service so I can't try it out but it should work" ...
and it is a MAGNETO PHONE! Should work on what kind of phone line??

Terry

andre_janew

I've seen quite a few phones advertised as Art Deco design.  It isn't just the WE 300 series phones, but also phones of other makes and models made around that same time.  There are even buildings that are of an Art Deco design.  It seems as though there was a designer by the name of Art Deco and that he really got around.  That's probably not the case, but it sure seems like it!

RotarDad

My favorites:

"BARN-FRESH"

"STEAMPUNK"

"RARE"

I also enjoy seeing "works" when the seller is referring to the attached lamp fixture, but has no idea about the phone's condition.....
Paul

twocvbloke

One that annoys me is not the titles, but the ones where they have multiple item listings where they put a single item in there at say 99p for a fuse or a 10-pack of LEDs, and the actual items for sale at a much higher price, which really irks me when searching for something and trying to find the lowest price for that one item, but they have gone and done that to try to con people into buying their item even though it may not be the cheapest deal...

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on January 02, 2017, 12:31:13 PM
I've seen quite a few phones advertised as Art Deco design.  It isn't just the WE 300 series phones, but also phones of other makes and models made around that same time.  There are even buildings that are of an Art Deco design.  It seems as though there was a designer by the name of Art Deco and that he really got around.  That's probably not the case, but it sure seems like it!

Not to get too far afield in this topic, but Art Deco is a style used in everything from about 1910 to 1940. It followed Art Nouveau which predated 1910. The styles are quite different and distinct. The Queen Mary was originally fitted completely fit with Art Deco items. All that was stripped out of the ship when it became a troop carrier in WW-II. The Queen Mary is now docked permanently in Long Beach, California and used as a hotel and convention center. After the war it was refit to the Art Deco look of the 30s. I've staying on it twice and find it a fascinating trip back in time. If anyone ever gets to the LA area, make time to take a tour - great restaurants on it and they say it is haunted from all it had been through in its years of service, if you are into that kind of stuff (some really great stories from people who have stayed or worked on the ship).

Here are typical Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles.

JimH

Don't forget "Amazing!"  It seems everything good or great has been described using this over-used word in recent years.
Jim H.

compubit

Just saw a 2500DM - "This phone was painted.  They did a pretty good job."  I'm looking at the pictures, and see:
- the plungers have been painted
- some of the holes around the transmitter on the handset have been "painted over"
- bubbles on some of the paint
- uneven paint
- scratches on the paint
- the modular jacks were painted
- The faceplate was not painted... Left as the standard faceplate on an ivory phone; the rest of the phone is bright (almost turquoise) blue.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AL_as_needed

can't leave out the ever present "Steam Punk" and "...Aesthetic"

....Or...."Buyer not liable for damages during shipping".....and then packs the beautiful early color set in an empty cracker box with the handset on the hook  >:(
TWinbrook7