News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Irritating 'attention-getter' phrases?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 01, 2017, 07:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I find it amusing when those inexperienced in phones tell the physical size of phones such as a 500...5 1/2" x 8 1/2" etc......just to fill in space when they don't know what else to say.

Did you also notice how those same sellers place receivers on candlesticks up side down?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on January 02, 2017, 07:32:29 PM
I find it amusing when those inexperienced in phones tell the physical size of phones such as a 500...5 1/2" x 8 1/2" etc......just to fill in space when they don't know what else to say.

Did you also notice how those same sellers place receivers on candlesticks up side down?

Benny
I usually laugh at listings like that...until I bought a mantle clock, and wondered what the dimensions are (to fit on our mantle). But yes, very funny when phones are being sold to 'fit in with your collection!"
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AL_as_needed

Benny

I see that a lot in movies and tv shows, "Fantastic Bests and Were to Find Them" being the latest offender. There are a few shots in the news paper office where there are some nice phones, all receivers upside down.
TWinbrook7

JimHyak

Most overused IMO is "RARE" as if rare had anything to do with value.

And how did they know a phone with a badly damaged case would be a "perfect addition to my collection" ??? I have bought some dogs but to be known for it makes me sad ;)
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

RotarDad

With collectables, "rare" simply means the description is undercooked....... ;)
Paul

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: TelePlay on January 02, 2017, 01:28:39 PM
Not to get too far afield in this topic, but Art Deco is a style used in everything from about 1910 to 1940. It followed Art Nouveau which predated 1910. The styles are quite different and distinct. The Queen Mary was originally fitted completely fit with Art Deco items. All that was stripped out of the ship when it became a troop carrier in WW-II. The Queen Mary is now docked permanently in Long Beach, California and used as a hotel and convention center. After the war it was refit to the Art Deco look of the 30s. I've staying on it twice and find it a fascinating trip back in time. If anyone ever gets to the LA area, make time to take a tour - great restaurants on it and they say it is haunted from all it had been through in its years of service, if you are into that kind of stuff (some really great stories from people who have stayed or worked on the ship).

Here are typical Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles.
I agree with John.  The Automatic Electric 40 and 50 series, as well as the Bakelite Stromberg-Carlson and Kellogg wall phones (where the handset hangs vertically in front of the phone) could be legitimately described as "art deco".  Ditto (to a certain extent) the Western Electric 302, 354, and several others from that era (1930's to late 1940's).  Problem is when "art deco" is used to describe something not even close to the actual art deco look.  The one that gets under my skin is "Eames era".  I've seen this to describe stuff that is probably mid-1950's to mid-1960's.  Not even sure what it really refers to, but too many sellers use it as a "catch-all" to describe something from that time period.

Another beautiful Art Deco building is the Nebraska State Capitol building in Lincoln.  I was very fortunate to tour it with my dad on one of our last vacations together.  It is an earlier example of Art Deco architecture, and many of the fixtures and design features inside reflect the influence the Art Nouveau styles had on the Art Deco movement.

I find it amusing when those inexperienced in phones tell the physical size of phones such as a 500...5 1/2" x 8 1/2" etc......just to fill in space when they don't know what else to say...
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 03, 2017, 04:03:15 PM
I usually laugh at listings like that...until I bought a mantle clock, and wondered what the dimensions are (to fit on our mantle)...
I don't think it's ever a bad idea to include dimensions for anything, including phones, because there may be some buyers who have never had some of these before, and may not be sure how big (or small) the phone actually is.  Like Christian implied, it seems funny until you go to fit the thing that you bought in the place you want it...  and find out that it just...  quite...  doesn't... make it.  :-[ 

I'm sure there might even be some folks who buy some of these old wall phones thinking they can just hang them on a standard modern wall jack plate.  This is why pictures of the back should always be included.  (I have seen adapter back plates for the WE 554s which are used specifically to mount them on a modern wall plate, but AFAIK that's about it for old dial phones.)
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

mariepr

I've listed dimensions for oak auxiliary ringer boxes because I'm marketing to the general public.  They might want one to hear a nostalgic incoming call ring but don't necessarily want something as huge as a magneto.

But I guess we all have our annoyance trigger points.  For me it's "L@@K!".  If I see that in a title I never will. 

TelePlay

Here's another example of an "Art Deco" phone made in the mid to late 80's so it is really more "modern" than even "contemporary" but certainly not "Art Deco."

Not asking much and the use of "Art Deco" is meaningless to cllectors and anyone interested in buying this phone. Seller might as well have called it a "Contemporary Eames Era Art Deco" telephone and had the same impact on its sale, none . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Art-Deco-Style-Chrome-Black-Land-Telephone-/172563386211

EDIT:  Found a reference to what the Eames thing is all about and from this, most of us can pictures those stack-able pink one piece fiberglass chairs that followed the laminate contemporary period of furniture styles. I can't remember eever seeing a one piece phone.

"Modernism, 1940-present: Furniture designed and produced during the Modernism period is distinctive, as it represents the usage of some new materials, like plastic, aluminum and molded laminates. The Bauhaus and also the Museum of Modern Art heavily influenced some designers. In 1940, the museum organized competitions for domestic furnishings. Designers Eero Saarien and Charles Eames won first prize for their designs. A new chair design combined the back, seat and arms together as one unit. Tables were designed that incorporated the top, pedestal and base as one. Shelf units were also designed in this manner."

Stan S

Hi folks
I posted this before.
However, given the subject of the discussion figured I'd do it again.
This is the worst!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

Stan A,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on March 06, 2017, 02:40:50 AM
Here's another example of an "Art Deco" phone made in the mid to late 80's so it is really more "modern" than even "contemporary" but certainly not "Art Deco."

Not asking much and the use of "Art Deco" is meaningless to cllectors and anyone interested in buying this phone. Seller might as well have called it a "Contemporary Eames Era Art Deco" telephone and had the same impact on its sale, none . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Art-Deco-Style-Chrome-Black-Land-Telephone-/172563386211

EDIT:  Found a reference to what the Eames thing is all about and from this, most of us can pictures those stack-able pink one piece fiberglass chairs that followed the laminate contemporary period of furniture styles. I can't remember eever seeing a one piece phone.

"Modernism, 1940-present: Furniture designed and produced during the Modernism period is distinctive, as it represents the usage of some new materials, like plastic, aluminum and molded laminates. The Bauhaus and also the Museum of Modern Art heavily influenced some designers. In 1940, the museum organized competitions for domestic furnishings. Designers Eero Saarien and Charles Eames won first prize for their designs. A new chair design combined the back, seat and arms together as one unit. Tables were designed that incorporated the top, pedestal and base as one. Shelf units were also designed in this manner."

Quote from: TelePlay on March 06, 2017, 02:40:50 AM

I always felt they were trying for "Space Age".  I can imagine George Jetson talking on one.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

The ones I don't like are the items carrying an extortionate price they saw offered on a television program, or a ludicrous asking price from Ebay.  I would like to collect telephones and radios, but this price inflation makes it impossible.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on March 06, 2017, 08:51:06 PM
The ones I don't like are the items carrying an extortionate price they saw offered on a television program, or a ludicrous asking price from Ebay.  I would like to collect telephones and radios, but this price inflation makes it impossible.

From what I've seen over the past year or so, the same goes for a lot of vendors having booths in antique malls - McMurdoSilver prices on Barn Fresh telephones.

19and41

Sometimes it is difficult to find a correct example of art deco one can point to.  I think this film has an excellent example of such decor in the scenes at the pet show.  It is about the truest interpretation I have seen.  At least before the calamity takes place.  Just slide across, you will see it in the second half of the short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1zslRAkeY

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke