News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PayPal defaulting to Pay After Delivery?

Started by mariepr, January 26, 2017, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariepr

Is anybody else having a problem where you buy something on eBay and the PayPal payment shows up as "Pay After Delivery"?  I just spent some time on the PayPal boards and saw that my account reads that "Pay After Delivery is Paused" yet I've now had three transactions use this when I didn't ask for it or select it.  None of the sellers were newbies which might account for the delayed transaction.

I found that I could bring up the individual transaction, switch to Classic View, then find a link to pay immediately.  But it is more work to have to log into Paypal and follow up on each transaction manually.  How is this supposed to help me or be a convenience?

I want the money for what I buy to go out of my bank account immediately and not two weeks later.  PayPal help has been useless.  They sent a canned reply that assumes I wanted it but didn't see the option.  Anybody else experience this and find a solution?

twocvbloke

The "Pay after delivery" feature is there so that if the item you receive is broken, damaged or incorrect, then no money leaves your account when you make a claim against the seller, which speeds up refunds and means you don't have to wait several weeks for them to refund the money to your account... :)

It's also useful for when you want something, don't currently have the funds, but know you'll have the money in under two weeks, quite useful in my opinion... :)

andy1702

I had trouble with Paypal doing the pay after delivery thing. But when I realized what it's actually doing it turns out it's not so bad, at least for the buyer. Sellers should beware though and here's why...

Although you do indeed pay after delivery, seller you're paying still gets their money immediately from PayPay with the caveat that the payment can be reversed if there is a problem with the order. So after seeing the payment has gone through ok the seller dispatches the goods. If everything works out, the goods arrive with the buyer and a few days later PayPal debits the buyer's account to get back the money they've already advanced to the seller from their own funds.

That's how it should work. But...

A friend of mine sells shoes on our local market. She also does quite a good trade through E-Bay. Just last week she was talking about a problem she's having more and more which is leaving her seriously out of pocket.

What happens is a buyer decides to buy a pair of my friend's shoes. They click the buy it now button or win the auction as normal. They then pay by PayPal although nothing comes out of their account because it's 'pay after delivery'. Next my friend gets the notification from PayPal that they've credited her account the value of the shoes and she should now dispatch them, which she does.

Now for the sneaky bit... The shoes get delivered to the buyer. But rather than saying thanks very much, the crooked buyer contacts E-bay and in turn PayPal saying the shoes haven't turned up. Paypal then contacts my friend to ask "where are the shoes?" My friend tells them she sent them, but Paypal say they never arrived and the seller is liable. My friend then obtains a copy of the signed delivery note from the courier. She passes the note to PayPal who pass it to the unscrupulous buyer. The buyer replies to PayPal claiming "That's not my signature. It wasn't delivered here." Paypal accept this as they have no proof one way or the other, tell my friend she hasn't ensurred the shoes got delivered safely, and promptly reverse the advanced payment they gave her. At the same time they say to the crook with the hidden shoes "sorry about that, we obviously won't debit the your account.

So the buyer gets a free pair of shoes while the seller (who may ahve sent the package signed for) gets absolutely nothing and loses their item.

This exact scenario has apparently happened on quite a few occasions now.

Back to the original question about pay after delivery... I believe this only happens if you pay with your actual paypal account. If you pay with a credit card THROUGH Paypal, not WITH Paypal, then I believe it goes straight through like a normal business transaction would.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

That ebay scam's been going on for years, ever since ebay made sellers rights more of an "afterthought" than a necessity, the scammers have been playing the system hard with it, it does amount to theft and under UK law they can be prosecuted, but sellers don't usually bother with going that far as it's "too much hassle", even though the people scamming them could be prolific criminals making serious money out of people by stealing goods left right & centre and re-selling them elsewhere...

mariepr

Quote from: andy1702 on January 26, 2017, 02:52:43 PM
.....Back to the original question about pay after delivery... I believe this only happens if you pay with your actual paypal account. If you pay with a credit card THROUGH Paypal, not WITH Paypal, then I believe it goes straight through like a normal business transaction would.
Andy.

That may be the solution - use my debit card rather than a PayPal balance.  I'm old school and believe that if I don't have the money at the moment I should not be buying a phone.  What PayPal won't answer however is why Pay After Delivery is being implemented even though it's deactivated in my account. 

It's a pet peeve of mine when I make an inquiry of a business and they give a canned answer that indicates they didn't even acknowledge the original question.

twocvbloke

The problem with financial institutions is, they only care about one thing, the money, customers are only a priority when the money isn't flowing, and when it is, then they just don't care...

Dan/Panther

I have been on eBay since 1998, early on a dispute could go either way. Then They updated their policies. Now being I have been a member since 1998, a claim on my part is NEVER disputed. One case in particular, a sellers description was not quite up to the item. We volleyed back and forth, and eBay decided in favor of BOTH of us. I got my money back, the seller got paid, and eBay said I COULD or Did not have to send the item back. I have 1866 Positive feedback, and Zero negative.
So being upfront pays off. They don't question a claim be me anymore. That is great feeling.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Dan....not to burst your bubble, but on eBay the buyer is always correct and the seller is always incorrect. I have been selling on eBay since 2002 and have 3828 feedbacks under jflowres. Before I started to sell, I was kidphone and bought only staring in 1996.

We are always upfront and honest but still get a unfair negative. The one we have now, a lady bought two phones from us and then sent them to Hong Kong after receiving them. One survived one did not. We received one positive feedback and one negative, even though they went to their US destination no problem in the same box. Not sure if they were reboxed when sent to HK, but buyer never asked for money back for a damaged item or to file a claim.

Fair? As the old slogan goes, the Customer (buyer) is always right.....Doug
Kidphone