News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The “ebaY Handles List”

Started by Dan/Panther, June 13, 2010, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Can anyone ID these sellers? They do excellent work.
D/P

http://tinyurl.com/2875w68

http://tinyurl.com/29nbzar

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

Phonesweep is Barry Collins in the TCI, he does outstanding refurbs....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

The other one is somebody named Anonymous.  Sounds like a Greek name.   :D
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on June 13, 2010, 10:13:05 PM
He was a prolific writer.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Brinybay on June 13, 2010, 10:13:05 PM

I've seen him referred to as Unk  Nown before also.
Egyptian I think.
D/P

paul-f

Terry's list shows starbright329 is Shirley Pattison - not a club member.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on June 14, 2010, 11:08:37 AM
Terry's list shows starbright329 is Shirley Pattison - not a club member.

Quite often the name that the ebaY account OR PayPal account is registered under winds up being the name on the ebaY Handles list while it potentially isn't the name of the phone buyer or seller in the household. This probably happens a bit more often for ebayers who aren't known phone buyers/sellers or club members.

Terry

Greg G.

I didn't know you could look up ebay handles and find the person's real name.  I'm not so sure I like that. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Briny....Terry labored very hard on this and it was more useful before eBay masked their auction winners. I am a seller on eBay and I have no issue with my name out there. Being an honest seller, I have nothing to hide. If anyone had an issue, Terry would always remove their name. Last time I emailed Terry, he told me he was no longer updating the eBay handles. Terry is this correct? I still use the handles often to check out the sellers. Terry you did a wonderful job on this.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

It used to be you could go to the bidders list and get about any info on a seller or buyer you wanted, you could even go to the auctions to see what they won. I used to have ongoing conversations with a few other ebay members so we would bid against each other.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on June 15, 2010, 09:22:30 AM
Briny....Terry labored very hard on this and it was more useful before eBay masked their auction winners. I am a seller on eBay and I have no issue with my name out there. Being an honest seller, I have nothing to hide. If anyone had an issue, Terry would always remove their name. Last time I emailed Terry, he told me he was no longer updating the eBay handles. Terry is this correct? I still use the handles often to check out the sellers. Terry you did a wonderful job on this.....Doug

A lot of telephone collectors would "trade" their handle for the list. Some of us would also pass along info to Terry.

The list was a handy thing to have. I sometimes would bid more once I knew who was selling. Sometimes I would quit bidding once I knew who the competion was. They were probably going to outbid me, so why run up their cost.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

I thought you meant it was a list on ebay itself.  Not being a seller on ebay, I guess it's a moot point for me anyway.  I've found that the "masked" bidder handle for me is always the same, so if somebody really wanted to know who they were bidding against, they could find out with just a little more information, e.g. I made a post on my FB page about an item I bid on and lost, and the amount I bid.  With that, they can see my "masked" handle by looking at the bid history.   

- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on June 15, 2010, 04:16:19 AM
I didn't know you could look up ebay handles and find the person's real name.  I'm not so sure I like that.  

The information wasn't available to the public through ebaY but rather was/is an Excel listing of ebay handles that are known to buy and/or sell phones. The list was available from me via email and I tried to update it once or twice a year.

I haven't officially given up on it but I last distributed a copy a year and a half ago. When ebaY went to the coded system (X***X) it pretty much took all the fun out of ebay for people like us who are into a hobby and like to watch what our fellow collectors are up to.

Anyway, if I update the list again sometime this year I will email it out to all the regulars and will put up a post on this forum to see if anyone out there wants a copy as well.

Doug & Jim: Thanks for the kind words about the ebaY handles list. It was a ton of work but it couldn't have been done without the halp of many people. I only ever had one person flip out when he discovered that he was "on" the list.

Brinybay: The codes have changed in the past. It seems like about once a year they change the formula for how the codes are derived.

Terry

AE_Collector

The "ebaY Handles List"

Some of you have probably heard mention of the ebaY Handles List. I started it in 2004. I thought that it would be fun to have a cross reference list to determine who the other phone collectors are that were buying and selling on ebaY. I learned that many other phone collectors had scraps of paper beside their computers where they recorded ebaY Handles along with the actual persons name. I have quite a few contributors who help me gather the info. I have always guaranteed that I won't reveal my sources as there are undoubtably a few out there who want to remain anonymous.

It started out as an Excel spreadsheet of ebaY Handles (ebay user names) along with the actual name, their registration date on ebaY and the State, (Province) Country that they are registered as living in.  Later versions added telephone club membership indicators and email addresses.

Then ebaY changed so that only new "Bidder Codes" (a***b) displayed rather than the complete ebaY handle. For me and many others this ruined a lot of the fun of ebay. Many people have related to me how it was fun to watch items and see which fellow collectors were bidding on items of mutual interest.

The last revision I put out was December 31, 2008. I included some of the new "Bidders Codes" but within two months of releasing the revision, ebaY changed the formula so that all of the bidder codes changed. At that point I decided that they would likely change the formula frequently and I might as well abandon the ebaY handles list. Consequently they haven't changed them since (18 months now).

A few months ago I decided that I would put out an update by the end of summer 2010 although it might be the last one. I have been spending an incredible number of hours updating and searching through ebaY records to determine the codes for as many as possible. It is now close to being done so hopefully I can distribute it soon.

Here's a cut & paste of  a very small portion of the list. It looks as though it has lost its formatting in going from Excel to this post but you get the idea:

ebaY Handle / Code / Fdbk / First Name / Last Name / ATCA-TCI-Othr / State-Country

freon_refrigerant   r***t   1303   Wesley   Taylor   A   x   USA, Georgia
zuperdee   r***u   117   Daniel   Roberts   x   x      USA, California
pitzer   r***z   160   Richard   Pitzer   A   x      USA, Ohio
dnstauss   s***a   2146   Randy   Stauss   x   x      USA, Oklahoma
uk-cats    s***k   463   John   Allen   A   x      USA, Alabama
shanermn   s***m   714   Shane   Young   A   T      USA, Minnesota
scenicrailway   s***n   435   David A.   Petersen   A   x   USA, New York

I have a distribution list that I use to distribute the updates via email. Remember that it is an Excel file so you need MS Excel or the free Excel viewer program to use the file.

If you received the list automatically in the past you should still be on my list. If you want to be added to the distribution list, send me an email with your name and email address.

If you want to be included on the ebaY Handles list itself, send me your name and handle as well as your bidder code if you know what it is. Indicate if you would like your email address listed as well or not.

Likewise, if you DO NOT want to be included on the list send me your name with instructions to leave you off of the list. It makes it easier for me to keep track of you (to keep you off of the list) if you will tell me your ebaY Handle as well but I will do my best even without that information.

This time I may include membership indication for the "Classic Rotary Forum" with each Handle as I already indicate TCI and ATCA membership. Therefore, if you are included on the Handles list (some of you likely are included already even though you don't know that you are) and want me to indicate that you are a "CRP Forum" member, just let me know.

It is probably best that you directly email me with any requests to do with the ebaY handles list but a PM on this forum will do as well. My email address is biddlecombe@telus.net.

Terry

AE_Collector

It has been almost two years since the last ebaY handles list was distributed. A new one is almost ready to go.

I just sent out the "Wanted" section of the new list to everyone on my distribution list. If possible take a look and see if you recognize any of them. If so, let me know so I can get them added to the main list which I hope to send out about one week from now (so don't take too long to check the "wanted" list out!).

I inadvertently blew away my distribution list for the ebaY handles list a while ago. I have rebuilt it to the best of my ability but will likely get lots of bounces and some of you may have different email addresses that you would prefer I send the list to. If so, let me know and I will make the changes.

Last chance to send any new info to me to be included on the ebaY Handles list this time.

Terry