News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The “ebaY Handles List”

Started by Dan/Panther, June 13, 2010, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Terry...thank you for the yeoman effort it took to compile this list. The time you spent is extraordinary. Thank you for doing this, it is an invaluable tool....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kidphone on September 07, 2010, 09:54:06 AM
Terry...thank you for the yeoman effort it took to compile this list. The time you spent is extraordinary. Thank you for doing this, it is an invaluable tool....Doug
You are welcome Doug. My wife has a few things to say about the amount of time I spend working on the list as well! Soon it will be done and distributed so I can slack off for awhile again....

Terry

AE_Collector

I have just distributed the new ebaY Handles list to everyone on my distribution list.

There are 658 known ebaY Handles listed, up from 636 in the previous edition. This time I have moved the "Handles Wanted" section into the main lists but have highlighted the "wanted" in red. This way we can make use of the information that I do have on these "unknown" handles and they will be right in front of you as a reminder to send me any new information that you might receive so that I can distribute the information on the next ebaY handles list.

As always, see the tabs across the bottom to see lists sorted in various different ways. Sorted by ebaY handle, Bidder Code, First Name, Last Name, Country-State & ebaY Registration date. As well, there is a legend to the club membership "codes" on the bottom of each sheet. I haven't had an updated ATCA membership list since bout 2006 so this information is sketchy at best. I am considering dropping this information from the list in the future as it is one more time consuming thing to try to keep up to date and even after spending the time, it still isn't reliable.

The ebaY Bidders codes and feedback numbers shown were accurate over the last month or so. Of course the feedback numbers are constantly changing. ebaY changed the formula they use to derive the bidder codes in February 2009 which was less than two months after I distributed the last ebaY Handles list. Since then they haven't changed again except for a very small number. I haven't figured out why the odd one changes even though the ebaY handle hasn't changed.

And finally, I inadvertently blew away my distribution list a few months ago and had to rebuild it to the best of my ability. If you want me to send your copy to a different email address, just let me know. Receiving the ebaY handles list is "by subscription". Let me know that you would like to receive copies of it when new ones are available and I'll add you to my distribution list and that's all there is to it. Members of the various phone collecting clubs don't automatically receive the list as many have no interest in it.

Terry

stub

Terry
        Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on September 20, 2010, 12:49:47 AM
Terry
        Thanks for all your hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   stub

You're welcome Ken!

Since including the bidder codes and feedback numbers on the list, it has become a lot more work AND it has to be completed and distributed as quickly as possible so that the information doesn't become outdated too quickly. I am glad to have it done and distributed once again.

Terry

HarrySmith

THANKS TERRY ;D
I appreciate all the work that when into this and it will be very useful :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Thank you from me too Terry.  I know that must be a huge job putting all that info together. 

As you update it you can put an "R" by my name. :)

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 20, 2010, 12:49:04 PM
Thank you from me too Terry.  I know that must be a huge job putting all that info together.  

As you update it you can put an "R" by my name. :)

Oops, Sorry Dennis! I guess you should have a CAPITAL "R"!

I didn't spend much time on trying to determine who should get R's (member of the Classic Rotary Forum) as it is just so darned labor intensive trying to get all the bidder codes and feedback numbers and then distribute the list before the numbers are completely out of date.

Terry (ebaY handles list curator)

HarrySmith

I already used this list today. A phone I was bidding on had a higher amount than my opening bid, I checked the list and found it was someone I did not know so I bid higher ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Hey Harry, remember the old saying....All's fair in love and war....and in telephones!

HarrySmith

YUP ;D ;D
If it was somebody I knew personally and liked I may not have bid higher ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

I'm adding this post cut from another thread as information on using the ebaY Handles list.
Other thread -> http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3697.new#new

Terry

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 29, 2010, 07:48:40 PM
Where is this list I have heard so much about and how do you see the handles?  on my computers the bidders names are obscured.

You can look up the bidder code on the ebaY handles list but since there can be many bidders with the same code (it is only 2 digits long) you have to look at the feedback number as well. Depoending on how recent the ebaY Handles list is AND how active on ebaY the person is, the feedback numbers can be a fair bit different. The ebaY Handles list number is always going to the same or lower than the current number found on ebaY. If you find a likely candidate on the ebaY Handles list and want to confirm it, do an "advanced search" for a "member" using the suspected handle that is associated with the bidder code and see the current feedback number. If it matches the feedback number on the auction that you are trying to "crack", you've nailed him.

Terry

Sargeguy

You can put me on it if I'm not already there.  I don't mind if other member's bid against me. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Happy New Year everyone. With the new year it is almost time to send out an updated ebaY handles list again. Over the weekend I went through all 667 handles listed and updated the feedback numbers. I have also updated the TCI membership info and hope to update the ATCA membership info as well.

I am trying to add "Classic Rotary Forum" membership info as well. Shoot me a "PM" if you are a member here and you are on the ebaY handles list (or if you want to know if you are on it) so that I can show you as a member of this forum on the ebaY Handles list.

Thanks everyone,

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: NorthernMan on January 27, 2011, 04:54:56 PM
I am impressed with your work ethic on this project it must take considerable time and effort. Kudos to you . When i started collecting 6 years ago i would watch the Ebay handles that purchased alot of phones and would peruse their previous buys and sells to get insight and knowledge into the collecting world. Ebay has become a lot less interesting because of their new policies.

NMAN

I almost quit doing the ebaY handles list because ebaY has managed to take so much of the fun out of it. With having a lot of bidders codes and feedback numbers on the list it once again makes it possible to see who's doing what BUT, it is A TON more work to do the research and the updates required to keep the list even half way accurate.

Terry