News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The “ebaY Handles List”

Started by Dan/Panther, June 13, 2010, 08:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Definitely interesting BUT, the club membership indicators are way out of date. I am really going to work on that for the next revision and hopefully the next revision wont be 8 months away like this recent revision was.

By the way, (I meant to post this here but forgot) I distributed the Feb 13, 2013 edition to all "subscribers" a couple of days ago.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 15, 2013, 11:13:19 AM
hopefully the next revision wont be 8 months awayTerry

Well, that ship sailed! February to October = 8 months. I am starting the work on the next ebaY Handles update though so within a few weeks it should be ready to go.

If anyone has any tips for me send a PM or an email. The list ties real buyer/seller names to ebaY Account name (Handle) along with Country, State, Club membership info if known, email address (optionl) etc. It is basically a fun way to follow auctions on ebaY and see who is bidding or who won etc.

The list isn't posted on the Internet for anyone to stumble upon. It is an Excel Spreadsheet that I update as often as I can (once or twice a year lately) and distribute to email addresses of people who signed up to receive it. These are primarily phone collectors in the various clubs. I haven't counted but there are probably 150 "subscribers" to the list.

If anyone would like to be added to the ebaY handles List, let me know.

If anyone would like to automatically receive a copy of the list once it is done, let me know.

If anyone wants to ensure that THEY ARE NOT ON THE LIST, let me know. Some of you have given enough info here on the CRPF for me to add you to the list and if I am on the ball, that is what happens unless you tell me that you DO NOT want to be on the list for some reason.

Terry

HarrySmith

I thought you had a "volunteer" to help you out with this enormous, time consuming task??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Not yet! Once I get going it isn't that bad, just tedious.

On some level I enjoy the work obviously or I wouldn't do it! I am a "list" person and like working in Excel.

Terry

AE_Collector

Okay, I am going through all of the handles on the list updating the Feed back numbers. I have just run into something that I have never seen before in ebaY Land. Two well established ebaY Handles with big FB numbers a few month ago now have FB numbers of "0" and very recent "registered" dates.

It used to be that you couldn't reuse a handle if someone actually cancelled it as opposed to letting it sit stagnant forever as happens with most no longer in use handles. Since both of these were "In Use" with older registration dates and big FB numbers only 8 months ago it is unlikely that they were cancelled and then someone unrelated to the original owner saw it, liked it and re-registered it. So they likely belong to the original owner still but somehow and for some reason were "reset".

Any ideas anyone? Interesting that they show re-registered only 5 days apart and only a couple of weeks ago. As I said, in over 10 years of patroling ebaY User names I have NEVER seen this before.

Here are the two handles if anyone wants to take a look themselves:

conelrad   o***d  FB=4712 registered 17-Jul-1998. Now FB=0 & registered 26-Sep-2013
cheech831  3***3 FB=375 registered 12-Jan-2000. Now FB=0 & registered 21-Sep-2013

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 08, 2013, 10:55:45 PM
Okay, I am going through all of the handles on the list updating the Feed back numbers. I have just run into something that I have never seen before in ebaY Land. Two well established ebaY Handles with big FB numbers a few month ago now have FB numbers of "0" and very recent "registered" dates.

It used to be that you couldn't reuse a handle if someone actually cancelled it as opposed to letting it sit stagnant forever more as happens with most no longer in use handles. Since both of these were "In Use" with older registration dates and big FB numbers only 8 months ago it is unlikely that they were cancelled and then someone unrelated to the original owner saw it, liked it and re-registered it. So they likely belong to the original owner still but somehow and for some reason were "reset".

Any ideas anyone? Interesting that they show re-registered only 5 days apart and only a couple of weeks ago. As I said, in over 10 years of patroling ebaY User names I have NEVER seen this before.

Here are the two handles if anyone wants to take a look themselves:

conelrad   o***d  FB=4712 registered 17-Jul-1998. Now FB=0 & registered 26-Sep-2013
cheech831  3***3 FB=375 registered 12-Jan-2000. Now FB=0 & registered 21-Sep-2013

Terry
Cheech is Frank D......, a really great guy. I know he has had some downs recently. He was in the clubs, but had some run ins with the select few. I was just thinking about him the other day and couldn't remember all his info. I will check in with him....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Ohhhh....Nooooo

ebaY has done it again, or at least seems to be in the process of doing it again.

I have spent a lot of time over the last three weeks or so getting the latest version of the ebaY Handles list ready to go. All feedback numbers and Bid Codes have been checked and club membership indicators have after several years finally been updated.

The only reason it wasn't sent out close to a week ago was that I was away from home and my distribution list. Tonight I was checking over a couple more little items before preparing to email it out and I stumbled upon a Bid Code that had changed in the last week or so since I last checked.

So I started checking some more and indeed, many have changed but not all have. I am not yet certain why some have and some haven't changed. Next I will try to see if no activity since I last chaecked leaves the Bid Code unchanged but the next activity will cause it to change. More investigation to do but bottom line is I have a TON of work ahead of me updating them all. :(

The codes have only been completely changed once before and that was within a year or so of their original introduction which must be five years ago or so.

So everyone who has some of them memorized and knows who many of "the regulars" are, erase your memory and start over.

$%#@&*  AND  !&^$#  As Well.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Terry, I also noticed on one auction the other day.....lets say the buyer leaves the seller feedback. Used to be one could then see who the buyer of a certain item was as it showed their entire eBay handle.  But the one I saw the other day had all feedback members listed only by their code and not their full name.

I will post a screen shot later to illustrate what I mean.

AE_Collector

Yikes, That will be the end of figuring out new handles from bid codes that bought phones on ebaY. They sure are persistant at ruining any "fun" on their site.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Terry,

Here is an example of what I was speaking of in my post before this one.  Once a sale has been made, often I would wait a while then go view the sellers feedback to see who bought the item of which I had had an interest.  One used to be able to see the entire eBay handle.  With this particular auction, that recently ended, the names are scrambled.  I have found some that are not.  So this may be something that eBay is in the process of changing.

I found one that I was going to use an an example.  When I clicked on the seller's feedback score it brought up a page similar to this one...with scrambled identities.  When I then clicked within the box at the top of the page showing feed back for last 6 months, 12 months, etc., it then showed the full names.  Looks like it's a work in progress.

AE_Collector

Yeah I went looking and saw that this morning. It still shows the full ebaY handle for the seller but not for the buyer. I haven't had time to try to figure out why some bid codes are changed and others aren't but am guessing that one might get a new bid code the first time they place a bid since this change.

This is going to make it close to impossible to get the new bid codes for everyone as well as impossible to watch for feedback to be left to see who actually bought a phone. I am not sure that there will be much value left to the ebaY handles list. The only thing it will be usefull for is seeing who a seller actually is.

Terry

Dennis Markham

Another change that I just noticed on eBay...one used to be able to go to "Advanced" and search on a user name as a bidder or seller.  If you knew the bidder's eBay name one could just plug it in and see what that user had bid on recently.  That feature is gone.

paul-f

Dennis,

I'm still seeing the "By Seller" option in Advanced Search.

Clicking on it gives another form that still includes "By Bidder"   :o

Who knows how long they will be available.

As an alternative, try pasting this in your browser and replace USER with the ebay id of the bidder you want to track.  It should show current and recent auctions for a bidder -- at least for now.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&all=1&userid=USER&&rows=200&completed=1&sort=3&guest=1 

(dead link 1/29/2021)

For example, for hfred...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&all=1&userid=hfred&&rows=200&completed=1&sort=3&guest=1

(dead link 1/29/2021)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Ah! Paul, you're right.  By selecting "By Seller" it will bring up the "By Bidder".  For now anyway........

I'll have to try your second method too.

Thanks.

poplar1

Quote from: paul-f on October 29, 2013, 01:00:40 PM
Dennis,

I'm still seeing the "By Seller" option in Advanced Search.

Clicking on it gives another form that still includes "By Bidder"   :o

Who knows how long they will be available.

As an alternative, try pasting this in your browser and replace USER with the ebay id of the bidder you want to track.  It should show current and recent auctions for a bidder -- at least for now.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&all=1&userid=USER&&rows=200&completed=1&sort=3&guest=1

For example, for hfred...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&all=1&userid=hfred&&rows=200&completed=1&sort=3&guest=1

When trying to look up bidder's history, even my own, I now get user's profile...is this another Ebay "improvement"...."Tell us what you think" ?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.