"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

“Gamewell” marking on receiver cap

Started by shadow67, October 17, 2020, 09:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


I recently purchased a Western Electric SP 293A wooden wall phone. It is in rough shape but I got it mostly because it had a 229W transmitter with the opening on the back of the cup for the exposed wire. When looking at the receiver, it appears to be WE at first glance to me. The top has the patent dates of other WE receivers I have seen. However, around the rim of the receiver cap it says "Gamewell  43821". Was Gamewell a third party receiver? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.


Gamewell has been around for a long time and in the early 1900's, they made police call boxes using that type of receiver.

Who knows, maybe they made their own caps.

They make other stuff now, fire detection systems for example.


I found a great page about Gamewell call boxes. They had 90% of the market back when. Impressive!,_LLC/Antique_Police_%26_Fire_Call_Boxes.html
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"


I have seen them on Gamewell police boxes that we restored at COT. The parts appeared to have been built by WE for Gamewell. Some transmitters were marked also