News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

andre_janew's phone collection

Started by andre_janew, December 15, 2014, 07:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

I'll start with a few pictures of my AE80 phone.  I'd like to tell you what year is was made, but I don't know and I probably don't know where to find it if it has one.

Next are a couple of pictures of my WE 302 phone.  Most of it was made in 1946.  The transmitter was made in 1937.  The dial is a 6J made in 1963.

Next is a picture of my beige WE 500 phone.  I bought it on eBay.  It was advertised as a 1972 model.  The parts have various dates from 1959 for the 425B network to 1980 for the case.  It is fully modular and was refurbished in 1980.

andre_janew

Here are some more phones.  Here are a couple of pictures of my sea foam green 1966 Kellogg ITT 500 telephone.  This is a nice bright green color that seems to glow in the photos.

This is a photo a black 5300 series phone with an F-1 handset that I used to own.  Nice phone isn't it?  It brought only $8.99 at an eBay auction.  If you think it should've brought more than that, I agree.  I have no idea why it brought so little.

This is my black 1962 WE 500C dial-less telephone.  It was seen in the November 2014 Find of the Month.  Notice the fat white line cord in the picture.  It came with a slightly yellowed clear cord that seemed to have four white wires.  I changed it to the white one because it had a 4-prong plug and because the wires inside are different colors.  It also makes a nice contrast with the black phone.  If you want to see it from the front, go to the thread I mentioned earlier.www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12963.0

This is my light blue WE 2500 phone.  The parts on it range from 1972 for the transmitter to 1982 for the case.  It is one of those phones that is fully modular and was also refurbished in the early 1980s.

andre_janew

This is my avocado 1972 Trimline phone.  It is also in the December 2014 Find of the Month as well as here.  www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13164.msg139101#msg139101

andre_janew

Now here are a couple of two tone phones I created.  Not only are these two tone phones, they are also Kellogg/WE hybrids.  They are now back to their original single color state.

andre_janew

Here are a couple of pictures of my black phone with a beige dial.  It is a single line phone.  I mention this because I've heard someone else has a phone similar to this one, but it is a two line phone.

Here are a couple of pictures of my beige phone with a black dial blank.  Like all of my phones, it is a single line phone as well.  I don't think anyone else has a phone like this one, but I could be wrong.

Now we have a couple of pictures of my dial face.  It uses a 4H dial.  Some of you may say it looks like a rotary dial subset.  Perhaps it is.  Maybe it could be used with a WE 500 series phone.  Maybe not.  I just don't know.

andre_janew

Here are a couple of pictures of my Trans 2012A.  It is a transformer that puts out 6 to 8 volts AC.  It is used for lighting on phones like the early Princess model.  I bought it hoping that it had an output of 6 to 8 volts DC so it could be used for non-phone applications!

Here are a couple of pictures of the dial blank used on a WE 302 phone.  This one is made of metal and came off a 1946 phone with a plastic case.

Now we have a couple of pictures of a 164C dial plate that was made in 1959.  This one was typically used on 5300 series telephones.

andre_janew

I thought it would be a good idea to get a couple of pictures of the 4H dial by itself.  If you are looking for a green four leaf clover on the back, you will be disappointed because it isn't there.

I also thought it would be a good idea to get a couple of pictures of the dial plate of the 4H dial by itself.  It might also fit a 5H dial, but a #6 dial would be out of the question.

Why do they always use these odd looking washers on dials?  Yes, I know space is at a premium and they can't use split lock washers.  Even so, wouldn't a simple star lock washer be just as effective?

andre_janew

Here is the line cord that came with my all black 1962 500C dial-less telephone.  Notice that the outer covering has a yellowish tint to it.  Notice that all the wires are white.  It tends to make wiring more difficult.

andre_janew

Now for something a little different.  Although not officially an antique or classic phone, my cell phone is used to find out if the ringer on one of my old phones still works or not.  I also call my cell with my land line to see if the dial on a phone works or not.  My cell is also used to make phone calls to my friend Tony and also to receive calls from him.

unbeldi

I was hoping that Santa would drop off a new camera for you.   ;D :D
It would help us too!

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on December 25, 2014, 05:29:35 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my Trans 2012A.  It is a transformer that puts out 6 to 8 volts AC.  It is used for lighting on phones like the early Princess model.  I bought it hoping that it had an output of 6 to 8 volts DC so it could be used for non-phone applications!

These transformers really don't have much use other than for their intended purpose, because their impedance is pretty high at 50%.  This means that without a load connected, their voltage output is actually around 14V, twice than that of the rated in-circuit operating voltage.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on December 25, 2014, 06:08:36 PM
Why do they always use these odd looking washers on dials?  Yes, I know space is at a premium and they can't use split lock washers.  Even so, wouldn't a simple star lock washer be just as effective?

Do you mean the black segmented 'washer' that is on top of the finger wheel under the hex nut?  I suppose, that because of its slight dome-profile, it exerts an even pressure onto the finger wheel all around the nut and minimizes any wobble of the finger wheel.

HarrySmith

Quote from: unbeldi on December 29, 2014, 07:21:55 PM
I was hoping that Santa would drop off a new camera for you.   ;D :D
It would help us too!
Seconded!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

I did sell a couple of things on eBay this year.  None of my picture ended up in a thread about the worst eBay photos ever.  At least not in this forum anyway!

andre_janew

I now have a red WE2500 and it is now on my kitchen counter.  It has an extremely long handset cord on in.  I think it must be 10 feet long.