News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 sets...handset cords

Started by Pourme, March 30, 2016, 07:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I see some 500 phone restorations being fitted with straight cords, others with curled handset cords. If one is aiming for originality, is there a date which they began to leave the factory with curled cords rather than straight? I understand this may differ with each manufacturer. Thoughts?   
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

On the WECO colored 500 sets, retractile spring cords became factory standard equipment ca. late 1956, but some colors were available as options already starting in August 1954.  This date was reported in Events in Telephone History (AT&T, 1984).

Pourme

Thinking about my newly acquired 9/52 WE 500 is what got me thinking about this. Any thoughts as to what that phone would have had?
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on March 30, 2016, 08:14:54 PM
Thinking about my newly acquired 9/52 WE 500 is what got me thinking about this. Any thoughts as to what that phone would have had?

Straight cord.   Perhaps a type H4BA-3

By ca. 1953, the standard cord was  a H4BF-3.

Pourme

Benny

unbeldi

I think this is a short history of the straight handset cords on the 500-type sets.  From my notes.  Not sure what happened later with the straight cords, but as of 1960 H4CL was still current.

*BLACK: H4BA (1950) --> H4BF (~1953) --> H4BG --> H4CL (>1955)

*COLOR: H4BF (~1953) --> H4BG (~1954/5?) --> H4CL

PS:  Looking at BSP 501-140-102 i6 6809, it seems the H4CL was still current in 1968, available in –3, –50, –51, –53, –54, –56, –58, –59, –60, –61, –62

poplar1

I thought that color sets always had vinyl cords, starting with the H4BG.
If there are H4BF cords in colors other than black, then are they neoprene -- like the H4BF--3 -- or vinyl jacketed?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on March 30, 2016, 10:35:36 PM
I thought that color sets always had vinyl cords, starting with the H4BG.
If there are H4BF cords in colors other than black, then are they neoprene -- like the H4BF--3 -- or vinyl jacketed?

I certainly have no H4BF in color, and as virtually no (or not any?) color sets were installed in 1953, it will be hard to ascertain this from observations, but we only need ONE, not many. Furthermore, the few cases with 1953 housings are usually two-tone sets with black cords.
Not sure where I got it from for my notes.
I am pretty sure though,  that I have seen H4BG cords of 1954.

I agree the cords would use the same material as the black cords.

unbeldi

Ah,  BSP C32.560 i2 5511 specifies H4BF-50 cords for the ivory 554, if not equipped with a coiled cord (H4BH–50, also available in –52).
This is pretty late 1955, but it is also Issue 2 of the BSP.  Does anyone have Issue 1?

Pourme

I have spent a good portion of the morning googling these cords to no avail. Where does one purchase one of these cords? I assume it would be a reproduction unless you could luck up? Should I assume these are not cloth cords but a vinyl covered? This would be a "thin" diameter cord?

I know I'm full of questions....

Benny
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on March 31, 2016, 09:25:07 AM
I have spent a good portion of the morning googling these cords to no avail. Where does one purchase one of these cords? I assume it would be a reproduction unless you could luck up? Should I assume these are not cloth cords but a vinyl covered? This would be a "thin" diameter cord?

I know I'm full of questions....

Benny
Yes, these are all either Neoprene or vinyl.   I am not aware that anyone makes any of them anymore.
You're at eBay's or another collector's mercy.
Sometimes junky telephones can be found for parts, but the cords are too often the first parts that get mutilated.
There are some sellers who still have some stock of third-party replacement cords but it is harder all the time to find the early kinds, especially straight cords.

Pourme

I have what appears to be a nice older curly cord, looks restore able enough, on the way on a '56 500 from Ebay, (http://tinyurl.com/zjvswys) I plan to pick several parts off of for my 52....It will work until I locate a straight cord...Thanks!
Benny

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on March 31, 2016, 08:05:18 AM
Ah,  BSP C32.560 i2 5511 specifies H4BF-50 cords for the ivory 554, if not equipped with a coiled cord (H4BH–50, also available in –52).
This is pretty late 1955, but it is also Issue 2 of the BSP.  Does anyone have Issue 1?

Issue 2 was apparently revised only to include the "wire slot" on the bottom of the housing for inside wiring.
Issue 3 (Dec., 1956) shows the same cords as Issue 2:
                       H4BF--3 (regular)
                       H4BH--3 (retractile)
                       H4BF--50 (regular)
                       H4BH--50 (retractile)
                       H4BH--52 (retractile)

C32.559, Issue 1, Feb., 1955 shows that straight cords (H4BF-3 and -50) were available only for the black and ivory 554 sets. "Green, red, and beige sets are furnished with gray retractile cords only."

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

The fat gray retractile cords are in demand.  I recently saw one sell on eBay for $103!  That was just the cord and no handset or phone was attached to it.

Pourme

I contacted Mary at Phoneco...she is looking for a stright cord for the phone....
Benny