News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Selling off most of our collection to pay for unexpected vehicle repairs

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, September 06, 2019, 08:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Due to our truck needing repairs.  The rear differential blew and the exhaust manifolds are shot.    We are selling off most of our collection.    As it needs at least 600 dollars in repairs if not more.  It sucks but we have no other way to pay for it.  Steve drives the Amish for a living so every day he sits home is a day we lose money.    We need to have at least the step switch stuff sold by Wednesday of next week.  Or at least paid for.  It can sit here as long as it needs to waiting for pickup as long as its paid for. 

Thanks Guys

Ashley & Steve

So we have the following for sale
Step by Step Switch Stuff-  10 AE Selectors with Shelf
Rotary Line Finder bank that supports 25 lines
2 48V Power Supplies
$500 OBO-  Pickup in Farwell Michigan

Western Electric 555 Switchboard.  Fully functional- Comes with all sorts of documentation,  Installers tag, wiring drawings the works. 
$600 Pickup in Farwell Michigan

Blue Booth with Phone from car light in pristine condition $200-  Phone is sold already
Pickup in Farwell Michigan

2 1960s Non Modular 500 Sets $20 Each
NT Contempra Rotary Dial $20
AE Monophone $20
Black 500 Set $20
Field Phone $20

More Pics

Dan/Panther

Ashley and Steve;
Start a Go fund Me page, or just accept donations through the phone community.
No one should have to give up their hobby for unforeseen bad luck. I will donate the first $50.00. If 11 more will also your truck gets fixed.
If you have a Pay-Pal account let us know.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Haf

..only ten more to go...will donate another $50, just need paypal mail address. Too sad seeing someone has to give up his or hers collection just because the need of some money for a repait of a truck.
I wish you luck,

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 06, 2019, 12:52:56 PM
Ashley and Steve;
Start a Go fund Me page, or just accept donations through the phone community.
No one should have to give up their hobby for unforeseen bad luck. I will donate the first $50.00. If 11 more will also your truck gets fixed.
If you have a Pay-Pal account let us know.

D/P

I appreciate it guys,  but thats not something we are comfortable with doing. 

What happened is we bought a truck the other day, a 2010 Ford F150 as is no warranty,  i checked it all out,  test drove it, it drove fine.     Picked it up the next day,  The rear end blew,  I didnt even make it home,  2 hours after we got it. 

First estimate came back at 5-600 bucks for just the labor on the rear end. 

Just got the second estimate of 2500 bucks.   It needs a complete new rear end and exhaust manifolds

So we will be selling off everything in our phone collection and retro computing collection to fund the repairs.  Right now we are stuck at home with no vehicle until we can get it fixed. 

CanadianGuy

Maybe you could contact a local school with an auto shop to see if they can fix it cheaper? Sorry to hear :(

Key2871

Try a junk yard for a used rear end. They are much less expensive than new. If you find a reputable one, they may be able to crack it open and check it to make sure it looks ok before you buy it.
That stinks buying as is then that happens. A lessen learned.
Hope it works out for you.
KEN

tubaman

Real bad luck with the truck. Sounds like the diff was very low on oil, so it would be ok on a short test drive but wouldn't survive a long run.  :(
I'd certainly try a scrap yard first before spending loads at a garage. They're a pretty common truck aren't they, so secondhand parts should be available.
I'd be happy to put some money into a Go Fund Me too.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Key2871 on September 06, 2019, 06:43:35 PM
Try a junk yard for a used rear end. They are much less expensive than new. If you find a reputable one, they may be able to crack it open and check it to make sure it looks ok before you buy it.
That stinks buying as is then that happens. A lessen learned.
Hope it works out for you.

I purchased a used Toyota Tacoma pickup 2 years ago from a Toyota dealer.  I have always had good luck with Toyota, and since it was a Toyota pickup at a Toyota Dealer I felt good about it. 2 months later the first service was due. When they did the inspection, they came back and told me a list of items that needed attention, and it came to $740.00. I lost it, I told them I just paid TOP dollar for a used Toyota, at a Toyota dealer because I felt I was getting an excellent Truck, We argued back and forth for about an hour or so, they finally settled and I got the work done for about $50.00. One of the items was the cab filter was dirty and needed replaced. I pulled a receipt out that showed I had just replaced the cab filter. At that point they made a deal. Long story short, In 2 years since I've had the truck, The above has happened, The transmission started having troubles, come to find out they failed to follow proper procedure on the fluid and filter change and shorted the fluid level by 2 quarts. Then The front wheel bearing went out and damaged the spindle, Then the differential went out, Then the wiring harness got damaged, and needed replaced, and just recently The AC compressor went out. I had a warrantee for 2 years, then obtained another one. The new warrantee only pays 45%. The truck was $20,000.00, plus $6000.00 additional repairs, and now just under a grand for the AC.

So I feel your pain, and the offer still stands to help with the repairs.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

I got back with the dealership today,  They are awaiting a decision on what the owner says.  They said they dont know what they are gonna do,  but they are gonna do something to help me out. 

Hopefully that means replacing the rear end

Key2871

Dan, I owned several Toyota's, had good luck with them.
But when you buy used, sometimes you buy the old owners head aches. My wife still drives my old highlander it has 230+ k on it. 
And I really hope you guys get a better deal on repairs, because a differential shouldn't fail unless the truck was neglected, or abused. If you have a trusted mechanic, take the vehicle you want to buy to that person first.
I learned that way back, before I learned how to do my own repairs and know when something didn't seem right.
Usually they will do it as a favour, but some charge a little to take time to look at it. But it's cheap insurance if the person checks it well. They can also give you their outlook on the vehicle so you know if your going to get into something that might be a lemon.
KEN

HarrySmith

Dan - I work at a Toyota dealer and have been with Toyota for a number of years. I have never seen or heard of a Tacoma with that many failures in such a short time. I believe they are the best made vehicles. I have customers with several hundred thousand miles on their Toyotas that have not had that many failures. That truck must have been badly abused by the previous owner.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Harry, my neighbor bought a Tacoma New off the lot. It fell apart in less than a year. He didn't abuse it or anything.
He got another and it's been fine. As with anything, it was a bad run, or a few didn't take pride in their work, what ever the reason. But it does happen. I used to work at a dealership years ago, and I saw brand new cars come off the truck with problems. It took forever for the mfr to take It back and have them destroy it. Because it was easier than repairing it.
A waste of time if you ask me but that's what they did.
KEN

tubaman

Quote from: phr34k5h0w on September 07, 2019, 03:39:27 PM
I got back with the dealership today,  They are awaiting a decision on what the owner says.  They said they dont know what they are gonna do,  but they are gonna do something to help me out. 

Hopefully that means replacing the rear end

This sounds promising - fingers crossed they come up with the goods.
:)

I didn't realise you'd bought it from a dealer. In the UK buying from a business gives you lots of additional legal rights over that of buying from a private individual, but perhaps the same is not true where you are?

Well got the bad news today from the dealership

There is nothing they are going to do,  they said the only thing they would do is find us a cheaper rear end.   They didn't want to make it right with us. 

Called the finance company now I gotta let the finance company and the dealership sort it out.