News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric GN4676 Metropolitan

Started by Russ Kirk, December 12, 2020, 12:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

When I saw this today in a Snohomish Washington antique store I could not believe my luck. Not date matching but most are July to Sept 1955. I will be shipping this home because I doubt I can bring it home as carry-on during my flight home and I don't trust it in checked baggage. More to come when I get home and have more free time. Do you think I should remove the labels? Or keep them?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Gary Z

Excellent find Russ! Congrats. I would remove the labels unless they really meant something personally or note worthy. That's just my thought. I have one that's missing the bottom plate. Anyone have one laying around? LOL

tubaman

Very nice indeed. I'd be trying my best to get it in my carry-on if it were mine. Post some clothes home instead!
I would remove the Dymo label but leave the paper one as it's period (I think you knew you would get opposite opinions on this).
You can always remove it later if you really don't like it but can't put it back once you've taken it off.
How much was it please?
:)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Russ Kirk on December 12, 2020, 12:59:45 AM
When I saw this today in a Snohomish Washington antique store I could not believe my luck. Not date matching but most are July to Sept 1955. I will be shipping this home because I doubt I can bring it home */as carry-on during my flight home and I don't trust it in checked baggage. More to come when I get home and have more free time. Do you think I should remove the labels? Or keep them?*/
It would be a carry on, sitting on my lap the whole flight.

USPS is very slow right now, they are totally overwhelmed. I would not trust this in anyone's hands but mine.

Excellent find Russ.....how much was it. I would remove the labels....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

Well done Russ!

I'm in the carry-on group. Why risk shipping?

Tubaman's suggestion is interesting. Remove the name and live with the white label for a while before making a final decision.

The format and content of the label is interesting for a collection. Of course if it won't come off intact you can always display a photo of it later.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

compubit

No reason not to carry it on. I've carried on a Single Slot payphone...

Give yourself some extra time through security, but should be no issues...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Pourme

~

Just trying to picture you carrying a single slot pay phone while sitting on a plane...Any one ask if they could make a call?

sorry.... hehehe.....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

tubaman

Quote from: paul-f on December 12, 2020, 01:47:29 PM
The format and content of the label is interesting for a collection. ...

Indeed. I like to try and imagine how my phones would have been used in their original settings. They are pieces of social history and period labels add to their story. This is why I'm always pleased to get an original dial card with a phone.
If the label was in a bad state then I probably would remove it, but it looks quite decent from the photo.
:)

FABphones

Quote from: Russ Kirk on December 12, 2020, 12:59:45 AM
...Do you think I should remove the labels?...

Original dial cards are good to have.  :)
Stickers/labels, noooo...
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

I've come close a few times to leaving on some of the stickers. Sometime you can't properly clean the phone without damaging the sticker.

So far I have removed all stickers from all phones I have.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on December 13, 2020, 05:45:15 AM
Original dial cards are good to have.  :)
Stickers/labels, noooo...
CJ..... I 100% agree, Original dial cards in displayable condition are wonderful, stickers not so much.

I try to get my phones to look as close to factory as possible......Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: compubit on December 12, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
No reason not to carry it on. I've carried on a Single Slot payphone...

Jim
I agree, I have carried single slots on twice.
This phone is hard to find and on the fragile side..
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Congrats on a nice find. That one looks really good. Hard to find phone! Now you just need the other colors.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Russ Kirk

Here's an update on the GN4676. Did a light cleaning and found a crumpled shipping invoice for cartons of paper for Children's Orthopedic Hospital in Seattle. No dates but I think it is the same wire center.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI